HOW TO APPLY
WSA is a nomination based award system. Each country can only nominate one project/solution per category.
Nominations to the WSA are possible through national contests and national expert panel selection. To participate you need to be nominated by either a WSA National Expert as the best national digital application in one of the 8 categories.
Through this high-level selection system, please be aware that every country has their own deadlines for the call. The generally communicated WSA deadline is the timeframe of the global call and communicates the last possible date of a nomination by the national expert panel.
HOW TO APPLY
Find out who your WSA National Expert is. Then you can contact the WSA office and them will be happy to introduce you to your WSA National Expert. Once you have contacted your expert, they will go through the steps you will need to take in order to qualify for national selection with you.
Some countries also offer application through a national contest.
Your project will be reviewed and evaluated if it meets the eligibility criteria and standards of WSA.
If your project is chosen to be nominated in one of the WSA categories, your WSA National Expert will enter your data in the WSA online Contest Database. Please make sure your WSA National Expert has the right contact data.
Upon nomination, you will receive a confirmation email inviting you to complete your application. Please make sure to check your spam folder.
After submitting your application you are officially enrolled in the global WSA.
An especially assembled international Jury will then evaluated all nominated and completed projects and choose the 40 WSA winners and WSA Young Innovators per year.
- Any company, organisation or individual from all UN and UNESCO member states are welcome to apply.
- The WSA Young Innovators Award is limited to projects initiated and executed by people under the age of 26 from any of the UN and UNESCO member states.
- WSA is strictly restricted to digital applications with a strong impact on society.
- Submissions for the WSA can contain mobile applications, sms based products, webpages, databases, kiosk installations, wearables, IoT etc. There is no limitation regarding the platforms or channels the projects work with.
- The projects can be max. 2 years old at the date of nomination.
- No ideas, drafts, demonstrations or concepts are accepted, all submitted projects must be market ready or already on the market.
- WSA evaluates and highlights the content, user value and local impact of digital solutions.
WSA DATABASE SUBMISSION GUIDE FOR APPLICATIONS
The application procedure for the WSA & WSA Young Innovators requires detailed information on your product that you have to provide in the WSA Database.
Please find below some guidelines on how you should provide this information in order to make the application easier to evaluate and process and hence promote your project the best.
Once you have read the guidelines to make the application, you can find here a manual to use the database.
- Please be short and precise and make your digital project easy to understand. Avoid too long sentences and complicated technical terms.
- Please fill in your application soley in ENGLISH.
- Please make sure that the URL to your project/product and the e - mail you provided works!
- Please be aware that an international jury is evaluating your project. E.g. if your project cannot be downloaded from the playstore in some countries, please make sure that you give enough information, provide screenshots or a comprehensive presentation for the jurors.
- We advise to first do your application in a word document and then copy paste to the database for easier structuring.
- WSA tries to keep the application as short as possible, hence we advise to fill in all fields, even if they are not obligatory.
THE FOLLOWING PROJECT INFORMATION MUST BE PROVIDED ON YOUR APPLICATION
PLEASE PROVIDE THE LINK TO A SHORT VIDEO ABOUT YOUR SOLUTION
Please provide a short video about your product. It should be short and explanatory, so one can get a good impression about what your project is about. Jury members prefer to view a video to get a first impression and to understand what your digital innovation is about, before they go into screening the text provided.
If possible, the video should be in high resolution, but can be also a simple video showing your digital innovation, or a marketing video you have.
The video is not obligatory, but we highly recommend it.
WHICH PROBLEM DO YOU SOLVE WITH YOUR PRODUCT?
Please describe the concrete problem that your company/your solution/your product is solving.
Give the jury a concrete summary of what issue your product solves, which issue it addresses and why it makes an impact.
HOW DO YOU SOLVE THE AFOREMENTIONED PROBLEM WITH YOUR PRODUCT?
Concretely, how are you solving the described problem? Describe what your product achieves/aims for, give details on how it works.
Please provide in this field comprehensive, detailed information about your digital project.
Please summarize the most important aspects of your project in a nutshell. It should give the jurors a short overview about your project, give an easy insight into the purpose of the project and point out the general outlay.
Please be precise and on point, and give a solid impression on your project.
PROVIDE A SHORT MARKETING/PR TEXT ABOUT YOUR SOLUTION
Please provide a marketing/PR text about your solution! This text should contain your USP, your WHY and the most relevant information that an interested person needs to know.
WSA will use this text as basis for PR or a presentation on social media or webpage.
STAGE OF PRODUCT/SOLUTION
Please let us know in which phase you are with your product/solution. Select the what fits best to your project phase.
WHY SHOULD YOUR SOLUTION BE SELECTED AS WSA WINNER? WHAT´S YOUR USP?
Describe your USP - why are you innovative, why is your product outstanding?
COMPETITION/COMPARISON - WHO IS DOING SOMETHING SIMILAR?
Do you know your competitors and who is doing something similar? What’s your comparative advantage?
WHAT´S YOUR TARGET GROUP/PEOPLE ADDRESSED?
Please name the target group of your project. This is important for the Jury to understand, who the digital innovation is aimed at.
- Who are the users?
- What is the intended impact?
WHAT MEASURES DO YOU SET TO REACH YOUR TARGET GROUP/COMMUNITY ADDRESSED?
How do you address your target group? What are the strategies to reach your target group? Are there any specific cooperation’s/ specific technologies/campaign’s you engage in to reach your target group?
TELL US MORE ABOUT YOUR TEAM!
- Who is your team? What’s your governance structure?
- Do you have an Advisory Board? Any Specific Mentors, etc)
Please let us know more about your team:
- How many people are working for your project/solution?
- Who is the leading team?
This is why we would like to learn more about yourself and/or your team. Explain e.g. your motivation, give some information about your bio/personal experiences and describe the structure of your team, if applicable.
WHEN WAS YOUR COMPANY/ORGANISATION FOUNDED?
Tell us more about your company? When have you been founded? What were major achievements in the past 1-2 years?
METRICS OF ACHIEVEMENT
How do you measure success for your solution? What did you achieve in the last 1-3 years? (e.g. impact, customers, any relevant numbers)
TELL US MORE ABOUT THE LOCAL CONTEXT OF YOUR SOLUTION.
WSA is about local content –explain why your solution is relevant locally and how it makes an impact in your country. Make sure to specify the local circumstances.
WHICH KEY TECHNOLOGIES ARE YOU USING?
AR; VR; AI; Big Data; Blockchain; Deep learning; IoT; Wearables; 3D Printing; NLP; Robotics; None of the above
Please choose the technologies that your product/service contains. Select the technologies you use in your project.
SUSTAINABILITY/ BUSINESS MODEL
Share some info about your business/revenue model or how your solution will scale and become economically sustainable.
PLEASE SHARE SOME INFORMATION IF AND HOW THE JURY MEMBERS CAN TEST YOUR SOLUTION
Please share some information if and how the jury members can test your solution. Provide login data/download links/tutorials etc.
Please provide some tips for the jurors, how they should navigate through your solution. This is the section to pinpoint which areas, sections etc. the Jurors should have a special focus on.
If necessary, please provide free access codes and installation procedure for jury members.
- Demo version links (working links)
- Demo users and passwords
- Download links
HAS YOUR PRODUCT ALREADY WON OTHER AWARDS OR RECOGNITIONS?
Let the jury know if and which awards/recognitions you already won and when?
WHAT´S NEXT? WHAT ARE YOUR NEXT PLANS AND STEPS?
Let the jury know, what are your upcoming plans in terms of:
- development of your product/application
- access to new markets
- new technologies or services