HOW TO APPLY
WSA is a nomination based award system:
- To apply you need to be nominated by either a WSA National Expert as best national digital application in one of the 8 categories.
- Each country can only nominate one project/solution per category.
- Nominations to the WSA are possible through national contests and national expert panel selection.
Through this high-level selection system, please be aware that every country has their own deadlines for the call. The generally communicated WSA deadline is the timeframe of the global call and communicates the last possible date of a nomination by the national expert panel.
HOW TO APPLY
Find out who your WSA National Expert is. Then you can contact the WSA office and them will be happy to introduce you to your WSA National Expert. Once you have contacted your expert, they will go through the steps you will need to take in order to qualify for national selection with you.
Some countries also offer application through a national contest.
Your project will be reviewed and evaluated if it meets the eligibility criteria and standards of WSA.
If your project is chosen to be nominated in one of the WSA categories, your WSA National Expert will enter your data in the WSA online Contest Database. Please make sure your WSA National Expert has the right contact data.
Upon nomination, you will receive a confirmation email inviting you to complete your application. Please make sure to check your spam folder.
After submitting your application you are officially enrolled in the global WSA.
An especially assembled international Jury will then evaluated all nominated and completed projects and choose the 40 WSA winners and WSA Young Innovators per year.
- Any company, organisation or individual from all UN and UNESCO member states are welcome to apply.
- The WSA Young Innovators Award is limited to projects initiated and executed by people under the age of 30 from any of the UN and UNESCO member states.
- WSA is strictly restricted to digital applications with a strong impact on society.
- Submissions for the WSA can contain mobile applications, sms based products, webpages, databases, kiosk installations, wearables, IoT etc. There is no limitation regarding the platforms or channels the projects work with.
- The projects can be max. 2 years old at the date of nomination.
- No ideas, drafts, demonstrations or concepts are accepted, all submitted projects must be market ready or already on the market.
- WSA evaluates and highlights the content, user value and local impact of digital solutions.
WSA DATABASE SUBMISSION GUIDE FOR APPLICATIONS
The application procedure for the WSA & WSA Young Innovators requires detailed information on your product that you have to provide in the WSA Database.
Please find below some guidelines on how you should provide this information in order to make the application easier to evaluate and process and hence promote your project the best.
Once you have read the guidelines to make the application, you can find here a manual to use the database.
- Please be short and precise and make your digital project easy to understand. Avoid too long sentences and complicated technical terms.
- Please fill in your application soley in ENGLISH.
- Please make sure that the URL to your project/product and the e - mail you provided works!
- Please be aware that an international jury is evaluating your project. E.g. if your project cannot be downloaded from the playstore in some countries, please make sure that you give enough information, provide screenshots or a comprehensive presentation for the jurors.
- We advise to first do your application in a word document and then copy paste to the database for easier structuring.
- WSA tries to keep the application as short as possible, hence we advise to fill in all fields, even if they are not obligatory.
THE VARIOUS SECTIONS OF THE DATABASE
SHORT DESCRIPTION OF THE PRODUCT
Please summarize the most important aspects of your project in a nutshell. It should give the jurors a short overview of your project, give an easy insight into the purpose of the project and point out the general outlay.
This section should be about 2-3 sentences.
ADD A LINK TO A SHORT DEMO VIDEO OF YOUR APPLICATION
Please add here, if available, a short explanatory video about your product. It should be short and explanatory, so one can get a good impression of what your project is about. A lot of Jury members prefer to view a video to get a first impression before they go into screening the text provided.
It doesn't have to be professional, you can also provide a homemade video.
LONG DESCRIPTION OF THE PRODUCT
Please provide in this field comprehensive, detailed information about your digital project with a special focus on the content and idea of your project.
It is advisable to structure the long description and use bullet points or lists.
This section should provide e.g. answers to the following questions:
- What is it exactly and how does it work?
- Why and when was it started?
- Which local challenges/issues does the project solve in your community? What is your main aim/target that you tackle with your project?
- Is it scalable to a bigger clientele/ other countries?
- What are the next steps planned?
- What are the challengenes you encountered or still expect?
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE OF THE PRODUCT
Please provide detailed information on the installation of the product, if necessary. Provide here e.g. if applicable:
- Demo version links (working links)
- Demo users and passwords (for the Jurors)
- Download links
- Special instructions for installation
If it is a website, playstore app etc. you can, of course, leave the field blank.
WSA is not only about the content and innovation, it is foremost about the innovators standing behind their unique solutions.
This is why we would like to learn more about yourself and/or your team. Explain e.g. your motivation, give some information about your bio/personal experiences and describe the structure of your team, if applicable.
LOCAL AND SOCIAL IMPACT /USP
Please describe the concrete problem your solution is solving (especially in the context of the UN SDGs), the impact so far and what makes your solution unique.
- What is the measurable impact in your community so far?
- Which UN SDG would apply to your project?
- What issues are you trying to solve and how?
- What is the local environment, that makes your project an impactful solution?
TARGET GROUP FOR THE PRODUCT
Please name the target group of your project.
TIPS FOR JURORS HOW TO NAVIGATE THROUGH YOUR PRODUCT
This is the section to pinpoint which areas, sections etc. the Jurors should have a special focus on.