- Original Title: giftedMom: a modern digital infrastructure for distributing health services
- Year: 2017
- Award: WSA Young Innovators
- Category: Innovation for SDGs
- Producer: Ashumanyi Ako Agbor
- Organisation: GiftedMom
- Country: Cameroon
- URL: http://giftedmom.co/
The problem of maternal and infant deaths remain alarming especially in Africa. This is mainly due to lack of information and adequate channels to reach out to those at last mile. Consequently, lots of people have myths rather than truths about health and many times forget to go to the health facility for their appointments or delay to arrive. GiftedMom is a social enterprise that helps to bridge this gap by using digital technologies to improve maternal and infant health care access. Its innovative platform is a modern digital infrastructure for the distribution of health services. The GiftedMom SMS and voice messaging platform carries out the following:
- sends notification reminders to pregnant women and nursing mothers reminding them of the date of their next hospital appointments.
- sends life-saving educative health content to users regarding pregnancy, antenatal care, labour, delivery, postnatal care, vaccination and family planning.
- provides a two-way communication channel between users and health professionals to reduce cases of deaths due to complications not taken are of in time.
Users register either via their health facility, remotely via a USSD code or via web. What makes this platform unique is its connectivity to mobile network operators giving it access to a huge market and database of potential users.